No. of Recommendations: 3
I really believe in voting with your feet--if you have a doctor and he can't see you pretty close to your scheduled time, find another doctor. I'm amazed sometimes at what people will put up with from a doctor (long wait times, rude staff, rude doctor, etc.) that we'd never put up with at a restaurant!

I live in an outer borough of NYC. My community has about half a million people. In that whole population I searched for six months and could not find an endocrinologist who was taking new patients (with or without insurance). I finally got in to see one because he does hospital rounds with my internist, who made the referral as if it were professional - as if I worked with him. Otherwise it wouldn't have happened.

When I show up for a 10:00AM appointment to this endo, I routinely wait at least one hour and usually two before I'm shown in for vitals and baseline history. Again routinely, it's another one to two hours before I'm roomed. And once roomed it runs approximately 15 to 20 minutes to see the doctor - who spends 10 to 15 minutes with me.

I put up with this because none of my other practitioners are willing to routinely prescribe thyroid hormone replacement therapy. I am starting to think it might be worth my while to commute for an hour (or more on a bad day) to see another doctor. This of course would mean starting over with history, labs, etc., but as I mention, I'm considering it.

We walk out of a restaurant after two hours because the restaurant food isn't that important to us. I wait for two to four hours every appointment because my medication is. If there were another doc within half an hour of me who would take a new patient I would be there already.

No, I don't understand why this specialty should be so overwhelmed, and I don't have this problem with any other practitioner. Can there be that many diabetics out there, that they're choking the access so seriously?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement