No. of Recommendations: 39
I really don't like going 'first class'. I hate valet parking and bus boys and being in places where everyone sticks their hand out after they do 'something' for you. Nor snotty restaurants.

Maybe you ought to try it. There's a place on the price/quality curve where a small increase in what you pay results in a large increase in the value/quality of what you get.

Friend wife took us to a very upscale steak place for my last birthday. It's been there for 25-30 years but we've never been there and I knew it was expensive.
She wouldn't let me see the bill (or the menu with the prices), but the entrees averaged more than $50. Hell, you can get a steak at Outback for $15. Yup, and you can also compare a $15 Outback steak to a $5 plate at Denny's.

Then I discovered that the $50 steak was a better value for the money than the $15 one.

If you are going to restaurants where everybody sticks out their hand, you are not going to top-tier places, you are going to places where the riff-raff think the upper crust go.

We go on a lot of cruises, and there is always a built-in pre-defined daily gratuity about $12 per person. After a dozen+ cruises, I knew what level of service we got from our room stewards, the dining room waiters, etc.
But one cruise, the level of service we got was extraordinary, especially from our room steward. Exceptional.
On the way home, I remarked about it to my wife. She smiled shyly and said, "You didn't see it, but when the room steward introduced himself on the first day I gave him a $20 and told him "my husband likes {this and that}". And after dinner the first night, I gave our waiter and asst waiter each a $10 and told them the same thing."

For like $40, we got a level of service worth more than $500. That was a 21 day cruise, so the extra cost amounted to $1/day/pp. A trivial increase over $12/d/pp.

Waiters and bus-boys and valet parkers are all human beings, and for sure they have to work a lot harder than you and at a nastier job than yours -- and for a lot less money. They worry about paying the rent; you don't even remember what "rent" is. Why the distain?

Do you also wear hair shirts?
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement