Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 15
I really have no reason not to smoke.

I have one.

I was on the high school cross country team. The swimming team. The diving team. I was the sit-up champion of the high school and had endurance others only dreamt of.

Then I smoked for 30 years.

One day I got a hacking cough which would not go away, but I smoked my way through it. Then I started getting short of breath, but I smoked my way through it, because it was too hard to quit (although I did it many times.)

Today I have asthma, occasionally severe. I cannot get insurance because as soon as the companies see my history of smoking coupled with breathing difficulties, I am rejected.

I cannot walk to the end of the property without being short of breath, and I cannot run up and down the driveway with my dog, playing fetch with a stick.

When I get a cold, my lungs fill with fluid which my body can no longer break down and carry away. A cold for me lasts a month, a month where I cannot sleep, cannot lie down, and where my coughing rouses the neighbors.

I curse every day that I smoked, that I was too weak to quit, that I said "I have no reason not to smoke."

My mother wears an oxygen mask, and can barely walk from the livingroom to the kitchen. I see my future, and I do not like it. I see your future too. How does it appear to you?

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement