No. of Recommendations: 0
I really like the Dwarf Velma's Delight. Such vibrant color:)

When I choose plants, I look at color and characteristics in all seasons. Some of the crape myrtles have brilliant flowers but boring bark and poor fall color. I chose a Natchez for the bark. I choose a Sioux for the beautiful fall maroon leaves. At the corner of my house, I picked a coral bark Japanese maple for the fire red bark in the winter.

I had a landscape designer draw up a plan years ago. One thing she stressed was having something of interest year around. You shouldn't have a season where the yard looks bland. Also pick plants that add color in various ways. You don't just need flowers to add color. Add plants that have add color through their leaves or needles or through their bark. Add plants that flower in different months.

A few other plants:

davidi viburnum - white flowers in spring and blue berries in fall
scarlet firethorn pyracantha - orange berries in the fall and winter
dwarf nandina - bright red leaves in the winter
saybrook gold juniper - year around yellow color
sasanqua camellia - early winter flowers
loropetalum - purple leaves and pink flowers
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement