No. of Recommendations: 0
I recall when some Texans wanted to secede.

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2012/1...

TMFEdyboom223
Print the post Back To Top
"After years of over taxation, regulation, and mono-party politics the State of California and many of it’s 58 Counties have become ungovernable," the group said in a statement, citing a "decline in essential basic services" including education, law enforcement, infrastructure and health care.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Interesting that they misspelled its. They wrote it's, which means "it is".

Yup, the ignoranti want to secede.

CNC
Must have been a slow news day. This has about as much chance of happening as I have of being elected Pope.

Churchy
Must have been a slow news day. This has about as much chance of happening as I have of being elected Pope.

Churchy

Hey! We would all vote for you.

CNC
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hey! We would all vote for you.

While I appreciate the sentiment, Cliff, you’re required to be a Cardinal in the Catholic Church to have your vote count. That has about as much chance of happening as Melania Trump has of being able truthfully to declare that her husband has always been faithful to her.

Churchy
No. of Recommendations: 9
Yup, the ignoranti want to secede.

CNC

A few minutes after reading this article, it hit me: This is the work of Big Agriculture in the Central Valley. They are terrified they won't be allowed to drain every bit of water in the state into their orchards and cattle processing plants.Their new state would control it all. Shoot, they could dry LA right up while they pour water on their pistachios. If you drive through the Central valley, you see many large and small signs screaming about water and farmers.

CNC
No. of Recommendations: 1
A few minutes after reading this article, it hit me: This is the work of Big Agriculture in the Central Valley. They are terrified they won't be allowed to drain every bit of water in the state into their orchards and cattle processing plants.Their new state would control it all. Shoot, they could dry LA right up while they pour water on their pistachios. If you drive through the Central valley, you see many large and small signs screaming about water and farmers.

CNC

That may be true, but it ain't gonna happen.

Relevant verbiage from Article 4, Section 3 of the Constitution:

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

You think the State Assembly and Senate will agree to this? There is a Democratic supermajority in the Senate and the Assembly is 1 seat short of a Democratic supermajority due to 2 vacancies.

Incidentally, here's a county by county map of the 2016 Presidential results. The really red ones are those that have the least population.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/california-preside...

There are also rumblings in Northern Maine about becoming a separate state. Again, not going to happen. Actually, there's been a lot of talk in quite a few states, but so far, the only successful split of a state was West Virginia during the Civil War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_partition_p...

Churchy
<<
New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.>>

West Virginia was carved out of the State of Virginia.

Seattle Pioneer
I recall when some Texans wanted to secede.

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2012/1...

TMFEdyboom223
Advertisement