Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I received distributions from traditional IRAs with non-zero basis, BUT, the above statement says that I do not have to file the 8606 if the distribution was from a conversion, which mine was from traditional IRA to a Roth IRA.

The 3rd bullet says: "You converted an amount from a traditional, SEP, or simple IRA to a Roth IRA in 2002 (unless you recharacterized the entire conversion - see page 3) This is what I did! So, again it seems that I don't have to file Form 8606

If I understand your situation, the only IRA distribution you had was a conversion to Roth which was subsequently recharacterized in full. If so, then you don't have to file the Form 8606; just attach your explanation.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.