Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: zathrus1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2003  
Subject: Re: Undervalued: Is that a good thing? Date: 9/30/1999 6:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I recently got a "tip" about a refining company (CYM) that sounded good in lieu of rising copper prices. I ran the stats through the PEGulator and the value
was .15 or "Undervalued."

As I'm new, is undervalued a good thing? It seems to me that it would be...Any input/clarification is appreciated.

Semper Fi,

Matt

Matt,

A few thoughts...

1) Most 'tips' are total garbage. Do major research before you bet your Quatloos on anything. Buy stocks in businesses you really understand.

2) 'Undervalued' can be good or bad, depending on the situation. Remember that there are many folks out there looking at the same data you are. If CYM were the deal of the century, somebody will probably have found it by this time, raising the price etc. In other words, if a stock is as undervalued as CYM seems to be, there is probably a darn good reason hiding in the bushes.

3) This probably relates to #2, but investing in Metals (precious or otherwise) is generally a very tricky thing to do. I know folks that have made a ton of money in stocks, but I've not met anyone personally that has done anything but lose big-time in mining or refining. Part of the reason is that metals are a commodity. The prices swing around based on supply and demand and are pretty tough for the average Joe to predict. There are a lot of other places to invest out there. I'd recommend picking one of em.

Be careful out there.

Z1

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement