Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JrByrdmann Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5026  
Subject: Re: Price per share Date: 9/28/2001 12:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 24
I recently received the following comment from a friend at Nortel.

If you had invested $1000 in Nortel stock 1 year ago today you would have $50. If you had instead bought beer, drunk the beer and kept the cans you would have $79 worth of cans.

I'm going to have a drink.

I am so tired of this quote, so I want to debunk this myth.

First the math:

($1,000 - $7 brokerage fee) / $60/ Share (average price 1 year ago) = 16.55 Shares

16.55 * $5.48 (latest quote I saw) = $90.69 - $7 brokerage fee

$83.69

This assumes that the storyteller is going to sell right now, rather than waiting to see if the economy can turn around, and some of these big telecom contracts start going active again. I saw a recent price target for next year at $19, so that would put my value back up to $314.45.

This amount is not spectacular, but lets look at the other side.

Let's assume the best case, and you get $0.10/can, then the $79 stated above equates to 790 cans of beer, and we will also assume this is light beer.

790 cans * 90 Calaries/can = 71,100 Calories

For the average person, consuming an additional 1250 Calories will equal a one pound weight gain.

So over the course of consuming this beer, the storyteller has now gained 57 pounds. Weight Watchers costs $12/week, and you can expect a loss of 3 pounds per week at best, so you are looking at 19 weeks. So that will cost you $228.

Lawyer fees to fight the drunk driving charges will run you $5,000, and he throws in the no-contest divorce at no extra cost. Alcoholics Anonymous is only going to cost $50 per week, and the doctor says your liver should recover if you don't drink anything stronger than water for the next few months.

Drink up. I'm going to hold onto my shares, thank you.

Steve
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement