Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I recently submitted my federal and state tax forms for the fiscal year 2000. I just received my state refund when I realized that I had forgotten to account for some capital losses in my 2000 income, which would've given me a larger refund. My question is, how do I go about refiling, since I've already gotten a state refund?

You file amended returns for 2000. The Federal form is Form 1040X. Your state probably has a special form for amendments. Check the instructions.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.