Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Charliedealraker One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 212835  
Subject: Re: A Little Munger Color Date: 3/24/2013 2:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I remember all so well back in 2001 I think having this discussion about the valuation of Cisco with a very popular poster on the old yahoo board. It was my view that it was plum dang crazy, and that this one decision to "hold" Cisco would out-importance all the other portfolio decisions this poster would make for the next 10 years. The poster had sold a little Cisco but kept the rest and the justification was that John Chambers was THE smartest guy in the entire world.

Well that poster still holds the Cisco that wasn't sold in 2001 just after (memory may be challenged here) the world's greatest CEO's company earned 50 cents and the stock was selling for $80. Of course it was only a few months later that the CEO bailed on $150 million of stock and a few months later the company had what was then the largest invenstory write-off in US history. I called it silliness to hold that stock and the poster's rescuers came flogging me to oblivion. Of course it was an older more experienced man seeing what was perfectly obvious- yes yet another man held on a pedestal created by the times and all the value investing rules were being slaughtered to death propping him up.

Now the page view tabloid journalism model is flourishing and gotcha headlines real in the same so-called value investors that the Internet charmed 10-15 years ago.

We can defend the young writers not practicing sound financial journalism or usher them in to the real world. Back in the 1990's early 2000's it was the different story with the same characteristics- people caught up in the moment looking for something to have it all make sense. Reeling them in was impossible.

The product being sold on seekingalpha is you when you click on the catchy headline. That's why you get it free.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement