Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 17992  
Subject: Re: Hybrid lawsuit Date: 12/29/2012 8:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I remember that case.

The 2006 Civic Hybrid is rated 42 combined, 42/40/45. That's different than the original sticker, as most cars that age were adjusted later on for comparison purposes. The new model is rated 44 across the board. My guess is most achieve 38 or so.

I've never known anyone that got much over high 30's. Our 2007 Camry Hybrid is rated 34/33/34, which is lower than the sticker said when new, as most cars has their epa ratings adjusted downward at one point. I have no problem achieving 36-40 or so in it. Except for a Rav4 I once owned, I've always found their estimates to be spot on. However, as with anything, there are those people that stomp on it and complain ;)

I've driven enough hybrids and normal cars to know how to get decent mileage. Whenever I see folks accelerating towards a red light or stop sign, stomping on it when green, or constantly varying their speed, I know their mileage is lower. With hybrids, it's all about having a lighter foot while underway. In the winter, the warming up process also reduces mileage, even more so than normal cars.

But I do this in my own car. When I'm at 75, My foot relaxes a bit just to maintain it. Around town, I coast towards stop lights, pull away steady but moderately, etc... It's not hard. Some cars though, you'll never get the published mileage no matter what you do.

The new Fusion Hybrid, and the normal gas engines are great cars from everything I've read. I found the new epa ratings to be so high, I wondered. But when looking at cars that cost upwards of $30,000 and more, I wonder how important gas mileage can be? lol
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Reestablishing the Middle Class
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement