No. of Recommendations: 0
I retired from my job about a year ago now (at age 65). I have a 401(k) and some money in IRA's which I have not
drawn any funds from. This year, my income came solely from Social Security. My question is:

Is there something that I should do with my 401(k) (like roll it into an IRA)?

When should I begin withdrawing money from these investments?

Since I have an open home equity loan that I would like to write off interest from, do I need to have an income? Can
this come from a withdrawl of money from the IRA or 401(k)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would roll to an IRA as you have more controll over the investments.

Your income will probably not be high enough for you to itemize your deductions so you may get no deduction for interest. Since you have to pay the interest you are better off with no interest to pay.

The income from a 401k or IRA does qualify as income.
Print the post  


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.