Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I retired this year and transfered my pension funds
to the employee savings plan as a holding place
while I educated myself.
Because you did this I don't think you can use 5 or 10 year averaging on a Lump Sum Distribution. You could have used a 4972 on each of the different kinds of plans and gotten your money out pretty cheap. Now you'll pay full ordinary tax on any distributions that don't go into an IRA. In some instances the LSD is preferrable to an IRA, but depends on MANY factors. Ed
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.