UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 4aapl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65335  
Subject: Re: OS X: back to 9.1 for now Date: 4/17/2001 3:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I said in part or Mail.app if via the commant <sp> line.

Do you mean from the Terminal command line? It doesn't work for me there.

Sorry for the confusion. I just meant that some people would refer to it as mail.app, and was giving a reason why. AFAIK, you can't run Apple's mail app from the command line. I don't think you can do this for most things.....just like how back in Win95 land you couldn't run most apps in dos if they were made to be in a GUI in Win95.

Is it common in Linux to have one app be accessible from both the GUI and a command line?

As far as checking your mail, you might be more successful in finding a mail app that you can run via command line that can use the same files as Apple's Mail app. Or, you can set up your GUI mail app to leave messages on the server.

I only wish I'd gone with Linux a few times a day

If Linux can do what you want better, use it! Hopefully you can do the stuff in one of the versions of Linux that runs on Apple's hardware. Let's see, there's LinuxPPC and YellowDog. I think there might be one or two others. I'm sure you know this, but just make another partition on your drive and boot into it when you want to do stuff in there.

That way you can claim your early adopter status, get the things done that another OS works better for you, and still hopefully find more and more ways that you can do those things in X instead of your secondary OS.

4aapl

(sorry for the confusion on the GUI vs command line thing. I'm still used to doing most everything in the GUI, though I have found a lot of things that for me work faster in the command line (copying/moving files, changing privledges, getting some info, getting to files invisible to the GUI....and more and more each day))
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Future, or What's Left of It
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement