Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Jacko2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3296  
Subject: Re: LTBH: Check these #'s out. Date: 1/8/2000 11:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I saw the article and it made me think like this: Given the huge rise from these leading stocks, if one is sure that one has in fact identified a leading stock, then that stock should be held for a long, long time. That means that much of the sell advice handed out on a daily basis is useless.

This was Philip Fisher's approach, of course. He felt he could identify a leading company with a 90% probability.

But don't underestimate how hard it is to hold (assuming that you can identify a leading company when it isn't yet a leading company). I remember the worry about Dell in 1994, when it was down significantly. The 10 year chart (http://www.bigcharts.com/quickchart/quickchart.asp?symb=dell&sid=0&o_symb=dell&freq=2&time=13) shows not much action till the last few years. (I think the chart distorts things because of the stock splits along the way.)

<I've always believed that with some effort anyone can be a millionaire in North America.>

And especially when the market (at least in the US) co-operates so famously, as has happened the last 4 years. Graham's view of return from stock investing was that with intelligent effort one could reasonably expect a return about equivalent to the market, but that to achieve a truly superior return was quite difficult. The difference between return of course can be overcome given sufficient time. (I'm reminded of the old joke about "How do you make a million dollars? Simple, start with $910,000 and earn 10% on your money.")

But let's enjoy these large, short-term returns (assuming you're in the right stock; I speak wistfully, having passed up JDS in Oct 98 and subsequently) while we can.

I was looking at Schering-Plough last night, from its 1998 annual report. Absolutely beautiful numbers: from 1993 to 1998, ROAE averaged 56.1%, and was very consistent; sales growth was 13.8%, also consistent, and the last two years showed better growth; net income up 16.6%; eps up 20.7%; a slight upward trend in net margins during the period, and very high net margins, too, averaging 20.8%, also consistent. Hardly any debt by 1998. Shareholder equity growing at 20.4%, consistently. Free cash flow growth at about 24% a year, though the growth rates on this metric are more volatile.

But from about mid-1997, the p/e began to rise significantly as investors have bid up the stock. Because of the lower p/es during 1996 and before, the 6 year average hi p/e is 26.6 and the low is 15.7. During 1999 (and 1998 was similar), the hi p/e has gone to 44 and the low to 30.

Projecting eps for 5 years (from 1998), one can get a range of outcomes, from $2.17 to $3.79. I chose $2.82, which represents growth at 19% for the next five years, a little less than the company achieved in 1993 to 1998 (at 20% growth eps is $3.04, so you can calculate the difference arising from my lower choice).

If you apply the average p/e (ie, the average of the high and low, which is 21.2) to the $2.82 eps, you get an estimated high price of only $59, which from current levels of about $45 (SGP had a hugely volatile week this past week), plus the annual 1% div yield, gives an expected total return of ony 6.6% a year.

If you believe that the current high p/es will continue well into the future, at $2.82, then at a p/e of 30, the upside price becomes $84.60, which with the dividend is about 14.5% a year.

Clearly you're not making a decent return on investment unless the p/e continues at well above 30.

Note, too, that to reach the 6 year average p/e of 21.2, the stock would have to drop to $28. It did touch down to about $39 this past week, but quickly bounced up to the upper 40s. Here's a chart: http://www.bigcharts.com/quickchart/quickchart.asp?symb=sgp&sid=0&o_symb=sgp&freq=2&time=12&x=57&y=15

I guess my point in mentioning SGP is that one's quest to become a millionaire is hampered when the leading companies are very expensive, as many of them are these days.

(Oracle is another case in point; beautiful numbers again, extremely consistent, but the rise over the last two months, has destroyed much of the benefit of the expected growth -- unless the strangely high p/e's continue. Oracle's 5 year average hi p/e was about 50; it's now trading at double that, because of rise since early November. That means that if the stock merely goes down to the average hi p/e, it will drop in price by 50%. Ouch. No wonder the insiders are selling at these levels. Here's the chart: http://www.bigcharts.com/quickchart/quickchart.asp?symb=orcl&sid=0&o_symb=orcl&freq=2&time=12&x=56&y=10

Don
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Burger King's Play Not For Taxes?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement