Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: FoolNBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5068  
Subject: Re: If HE is discouraged..... Date: 10/7/2007 12:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I say it's absolutely possible with discipline. (Doubt you'll earn $100K/yr in a location that has houses in a nice part of town for $45K though). I entered the workforce full time at age 23 and may possibly retire at 38 if the stars align properly. If I wished to downscale my lifestyle, I could virtually retire now. I have enough assets today to pay off my house and bring in enough (at 4%) to pay my insurance, minor home maintenance, taxes and food. Now I'm continuing to work and save so I can better maintain my house, fund my healthcare, a vehicle, and have fun in retirement. Technically, typing this, I maybe I am FI already?

In your situation, you have a pension and significantly more assets than I started with at 23 and likely a higher initial earning potential than what I earned leaving college (my income rapidly increased during the first 5 years of my career but the rate of increase has slowed... I will likely hit 6 figures just about the time I FIRE myself). The child and the past life are "paid off" so you look in in good shape to me if you find a decent job and keep disciplined.

As a mental exercise, shave 30 years off your life... would you tell a 20/year old with $90K of investments and an inflation adjusted monthly trust fund payment of $1,300/mo (that will increase in another 15 years -social security) that he couldn't retire when he was 32? I would be pretty darn encouraged myself. As a single guy I could live off of $1,300/month if I chose too and save ALL of my earnings (minus the huge chunk the taxman would steal).

Good Luck.

FoolNBlue
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement