No. of Recommendations: 34
It took me only three months to land my dream job. The nonprofit finally called me back and we negotiated a satisfactory salary, including a six-month review that will be based on measurable goals, which will be mutually set.

I started combing the streets mid-November, 30 days after I unpacked the last box in my new home. Things were very slow until the first part of the year and then all of a sudden, whammo, I began going on interviews.

The first job I turned down because I didn't think I would be happy promoting pesticides, which is what that nonprofit did. The second job did not pay enough. The third job required a lot of travel, and I was undecided until this opportunity popped up.

For those of you who wonder, I chose the lower salary but the higher job satisfaction position. Salaries can always go up, but I'd rather be happy where I am employed than back in the higher-salaried position where I seemed doomed for misery in Minneapolis.

In thinking back as to how I grabbed this job, and it was advertised absolutely everywhere, so I'm sure they received a boatload of qualified candidates, I'm 100% positive it was because I followed Nick's advice and DID THE JOB IN THE INTERVIEW. That simple maneuver set me apart from all the others vying for the job.

And networking helped me to build references. Being new to the city, some employers are reluctant to hire newly planted residents, but because I volunteered at another nonprofit and had a chance to rub shoulders with a lot of mucky-mucks, I built an impressive list of references. From well known politicians to presidents to several publishers.

This job involves helping animals, a cause near and dear to my heart. It's a newly created position as well, so the sky is the limit as to what I can do and where I can go. They have offered to advance vacation time to me so I can go to China in April, and appear to be extremely employee oriented and very flexible. It's what I've always wanted in a job.

Just because a person is 50 doesn't mean one can't find a good job. I'm proof of that. Thank you, Nick, and thank you to everybody else on this board who has offered me advice. You guys are great. And I'm so excited I can barely contain myself. I am so pleased that I managed to stumble on to TMF 3 years ago. Being a member of this community as literally changed my life.

elizabeth
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement