No. of Recommendations: 6
I second Art and also call BS on the fat study.

I remember when I got the phone call from the doc telling me I was pre-diabetic. A1C was 5.9, sugar was high 90's. Worse yet, doc was closing down and moving back to the Carolinas, so I asked over the phone, 'so now what?'. The response was cut carbs and sugar. I read a pretty good book on the subject that I downloaded from Amazon. It was a little extreme in some aspects for me, but I was not probably in as bad a shape as some people that might need extreme. According to the American Diabetes Foundation, people with pre-diabetes have a pretty high chance of becoming diabetic in less than 10 years. My grandfather died in his 50's from diabetic complications. I watched many other people die from this disease, and now I was on a path right for it. Well, the first thing I needed to do was drop the weight. I began walking 2.5 miles every morning before work to burn the sugar from the meal the previous day, and usually cycled one day on the weekends. I used the My Fitness Pal app to set my desired weight and pounds per week to lose, bought a scale and weighed my food among other things. Most importantly, I cut all sugar, and cut most carbs. I stuck to the recommended calorie intake of 1800 per day for me during this phase. It worked. I was hungry the first couple of weeks, but then your body adapts, and you're not hungry anymore. I was 195.9 pounds the day the doc called, and dropped 30 pounds at one point, but still hovering in the low 170's, ideal for someone my height. Once I hit the weight goal, I re-programmed My Fitness Pal to maintain that weight, and my calorie intake jumped to like 2300/day, and up to 3000 if I exercise. I still eat well, but have loosened to allow myself pizza every now and then, or a white bun for a sandwich. I eat protein every morning, ie eggs. Protein is your friend as it helps somehow remove sugar IIRC. I also lift weights a couple of times a week. I've taken statins since I was 28! I still do, but my total and LDL cholesterol are perfect now, whereas I struggled with them before, even with the drugs. Triglycerides cratered from like 270 to just 70. Happy cholesterol was up from low 20's strongly into the 40' and 50's, all from the exercise. Bottom line, I'm slim and trim, I have abs now, and it's all because I changed my lifestyle from a pre-diabetes diagnosis. Oh, and I'm no longer pre-diabetic. A1C bottomed out at 4.7, and my last number was 5.0.

MR
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement