Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I see that I will also need to submit Form 8606. The issue was I thought we were in the phaseout range for the Roth IRA that year and only contributed $500. I later recharacterized a portion of that to a trad IRA when it should have been the whole amount. So part of the money is the Roth excess and part is non-deductible trad IRA.

If I'm reading this correctly you made only a total $500 IRA contribution for 2008 and you didn't file the 8606 to show the (post-recharacterization) nondeductible traditional IRA contribution. If so, yes, also include the 8606 with your amended return.

I guess that means I get to amend the Form 8606 for 2009 and 2010 as well

Let's burn those bridges when we come to them, one year at a time. If you didn't make any nondeductible traditional IRA contrbutions in those years there's no need for an 8606. You will need a 5329 for 2009, which has a starting point of an excess Roth contribution coming forward from the 2008 5329. Then finish the excess Roth contribution portion of the 5329 and see where you stand going forward to 2010, where you rinse and repeat.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.