Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: dwade Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121572  
Subject: Re: Self-Employed Message Board? Date: 12/2/1997 6:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I see there are already replies with the real answer ("it's darn complicated") but I thought that since I'm a W2 contractor in the same business that has also had a little 1099 income I thought I'd comment as well with a couple of specifics -- please note that this is hardly complete, but I thought I'd add some real-world data. And I suspect that most of it isn't really news to you, but what the heck.

1. The single biggest advantage is that you won't have the overhead of the agency. Any tax issues pale in comparison.
Here's some real world examples I know of.
What the company pays->What you get
$95->$65
$75->$55
$35->$20

So there's lots of room to bump your rate up and still undercut the agencies.

2. As you note, the agency provides a service. You'll have to get your own work. You'll have to do your own billing. You'll have to come up with a contract. You'll be paid 30 days after you bill. There's a chance they'll stall or won't pay you at all. My agency also provides 401(k), direct deposit, and group medical rates. If you have that, it's gone.

3. Tax drawbacks: You pick up their half of the social security tax (Around 4.5K/year I believe). You have to file schedule C which is a big pain, and it's taxed differently.

4. Tax advantages: You can start an IRA-SEP, which will let you put away more money tax deferred than a 401(k) will. In theory it's much easier to deduct computers and so forth, but we're talking maybe a couple of thousand dollars of hardware a year. If you're making $150K/year, is that really going to matter very much?

5. Loans. Since you're technically an employee, you can get, say, a house loan putting them as your employer. As an independent contractor you'll have to get a loan as self-employed, which seems to be much more difficult.

Hope that helps,
Doug

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement