Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (55) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 157044  
Subject: Re: Microsoft's Ballmer: Windows 7 is nearly fin Date: 1/9/2009 1:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I see this debate a sort of non-issue, and I stress sort of.

The debate over the evolution of operating systems for consumer and business desktops is pretty much a non-issue these days. Lepoard to Snow Lepoard, Vista to Windows 7.

The reality is there is very little feature/functionality that can be added that doesn't already exist today. Yes there have been big advances in media and gaming in particular, and networking and formats and standards, but this is evolutionary stuff, not revolutionary stuff. I mean come on, people were using QuickTime and WiMP 10 years ago - playing MP3 and editing/viewing pictures on your computer is not revolutionary stuff these days.

The larger debate, which always breaks down into sectarian violence is Mactel vs. Wintel vs. Open Source Tel (e.g. Linux et al) and I'm not even going to wade into that cespool for this discussion.

Windows 7 is based off of Vista? So WHAT. Seriously.

Windows 98 was based off of Windows 95 and Windows 98 SE was based off of Windows 98 an Windows Me was bassed off of Windows 98 SE. If I apply the somewhat warped logic that if product Y is based off of product X it HAS to be better or worse because it is an evolution of that product - that is just plain dumb thinking. I don't think many people would debate that Windows 98 was better than Windows 95, that Windows 98 SE was a darn good operating system, limitations of the Registry not withstanding, and that Windows Me - SUCKED. So wait a minute. Better. Better, Worse. Gee, that theory doesn't hold then.

Windows XP SP2/SP3 is probably the best consumer/commercial desktop OS Microsoft has come out with to date. It was an evolution of W2K which was an evolution of NT4 with some Windows 95 sprinkled in for legacy issues (and that damn Registry).

I have always aaid, with a straight face, Windows XP (the first released edition) is everything that was promised to use in Windows 95. This goes into te whole USB, plug and play, stability (one app goes down the whole OS doesn't go down) ability to run multiple applications, memory management, graphical capability, battery management on laptops, etc. etc.) that Windows 95 was suppose to do - well we finally got.

You don't need to be a marketing genius to figure out that, for now, Microsoft is turning its marketing back on Vista. If they weren't it would be called Vista 2. Vista 10, or something else with Vista in it. For now it is called Windows 7, which isn't to say longer term and up to releas it won't get called something else (and maybe I'll eat crow and it will be called Vista xxx).

I just find it silly to say that something will be crappy because it is based on something crappy. Seriously, in software the universe is filled with endless examples of something crappy out of the gate, turned great through evolution, and likewise something great out of the gate, turned to crap out of evolution. I don't see how anyone at this stage of the game can judge either way, considering a viable released beta isn't even in the hands of a broad audience yet. It is speculative at best, fan boish at worst. Right now given the history of evolution it is a coin toss - it could be Windows 98 SE - it could be Windows Me, it could be Windows 98. Time will tell.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (55) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement