No. of Recommendations: 0
I should clarify...given my 'own the doorknob' statement.

We paid for our house and it was a savings for us.
We were paying off at 12 3/4% and then refi'd to an 8.5% mortgage. Banks were paying 5%. (Remember those days?)

Perhaps my thinking is dated...

But perhaps not,
There are more folks failing on mortgages even with these low interest rates - 3-2.5%. Of course the banks pay .01% now.

Same concept - different times.

Yes, it's a 'great idea' to make more by investing but you have to do that always. And this is a high market, not a good time to put money in.

Folks buying a house have to fight the impulse to overspend due to a low mortgage rate payment.
It has to be in your blood.

I don't think you can lump it in and say a clear message, don't pay it off.
You'll make more money somewhere else...because it's not always apparent where things will go with rates or their picks.

These might be folks that...don't 'bank it'.
Just spend the difference instead of paying off that house and having something to show for their money.

Sorry, instead of steering them to the market, I think a nice house would be better. Nothing wrong with security, a door knob if you aren't familiar with investing or planning.
Or prepared for where the wind blows.

nag
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement