Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (61) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 445616  
Subject: Re: Apple maps Date: 12/20/2012 11:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I should have read ahead. I believe this is correct. And without the maps, which you get over the cellular network, the GPS isn't very useful.

To be fair, the vast majority of the time you're going to be within reach of a cellular network. When you know ahead of time that you're not you can pre-load your maps.

And I see that the new Google app for iPhone now supports vector maps, which is a dramatic improvement over the bitmaps they were using, including on their own Android phones.

Here's why:

"For example, while iOS 5 Maps would load Google's map tiles of the immediate area being browsed at a couple zoom levels for offline browsing (generally less than a 10 mile radius), Apple's new vector maps, once loaded in San Francisco, allowed us to browse an entire continent of high level maps (state outlines) while offline, north from Anchorage, Alaska to Lima, Peru and from Honolulu, Hawaii to Montréal, Canada,"
http://www.maclife.com/article/news/ios_6_vectorbased_maps_d...

I don't know if Google has updated its own app for Android, although I can't imagine why they wouldn't have. Of course they may not be able to on older versions of the OS since there is so much incompatibility among manufacturers and handsets.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (61) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Story Behind the Story
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement