Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: GusSmed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35969  
Subject: I should never have patched Spore. Date: 9/26/2008 8:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
There was a bunch of stuff on the fix list, and surely there would be no drawbacks to updating the game.

The first thing I noticed was that the missions no longer updated correctly. They showed in the little tracking windows in the upper left corner, but they were always in the "minimized" state. To get details like star names and planet names, I had to delve into the menus.

That's annoying, but I could live with it.

Then I discovered that black holes no longer worked. I'd send a ship through, and it would get stuck on the other side. The game would not let me leave, nor re-enter the hole to return to my origin. I couldn't even exit the game.

That's really annoying, but I've never found black hole travel to be vital.

I finished my current game, and started a new creature from Cell stage. Except that I couldn't start. The opening meteorite sequence played, but my cell never appeared, nor did any of the other initial deterius. Nor was it invisible or anything, the game was not responsive to either mouse or keyboard controls.

That's a game breaker. No new games? So I tried reverting to the old EXE, but discovered that the data had changed and the old EXE would throw an exception due to calling a pure virtual function right away.

So that's it. I'm stuck until EA patches the patch. Or, alternately, I could completely uninstall. I suppose that wouldn't be a complete catastrophe, since the most important saved things are the creature / vehicle .PNGs, and those I can save easily enough.

It's really time to move on, though. Space, which was the only truly interesting part, has gotten repetitive and mechanical.

- Gus
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28387 of 35969
Subject: Re: I should never have patched Spore. Date: 9/27/2008 8:01 AM
Recommendations: 0
Or, alternately, I could completely uninstall

Assuming the DRM lets you.

dsbrady

Author: GusSmed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28389 of 35969
Subject: Re: I should never have patched Spore. Date: 9/27/2008 8:55 AM
Recommendations: 0
Assuming the DRM lets you.

Good point, and one that worried me. I figured it out though: I completely deleted my Spore directory under AppData, and then reverted to the earlier .EXE. The Creations directory resides elsewhere, and doesn't care.

That worked, it was pretty much like a new install. The main drawback is the game doesn't show the stuff I've made under "my creations," it's in the general pool, even though I'm credited, and present. Oh, and of course this nuked all my save games, but I don't really care about revisiting races that have already maxed out.

- Gus

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement