Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I sold calls on a couple stocks (that is, I was paid a little money for my promise to sell the stocks at a bit above the current market price, if the buyer wanted them in the next few months). If the stocks drop, I'll buy the promise back cheaply. If the stocks stay the same or increase, they'll be automatically called away from me.

The temporary increase of the US debt ceiling expires March 16 2017. Even the brinksmanship of previous debt ceiling negotiations has caused market gyrations. The current president-elect has expressed a wish to deliberately tank the economy, to "remake" the US in the ensuing riots and social unrest. So the usual assumptions of self-interest and good-faith dealing in debt ceiling negotiations are no longer valid.

I normally have an automatic monthly withdrawal from my investment account for living expenses--a habit from my salary salad days. In 2017, I've instead scheduled a lump sum withdrawal in early January. I'm concerned about volatility and loss of faith in capital markets.

I have no mortgage on my house, but if I did I'd take a hard look at the interest rate environment and consider paying it off/down.

TL;DR, no one knows. Batten down the hatches and never put yourself in position for a knock-out blow.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement