Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: edcosoft Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 124931  
Subject: Re: Investment Property Capital Gains Date: 10/9/1999 2:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I sold two rental properties in 1999. One was placed in service in March 1986, the other in
July 1991. Depreciation was calculated on the initial cost minus 10% for land value over their
rental histories, the 1986 one using ACRS over a 19-year term, the 1991 one using MCRS over
a 27.5-year term. How do I calculate the taxable capital gain? What are Section 1250 and
Section 1231 gains? Do they pertain to my situation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your Capital Gain is the (net) sales price less your cost basis (before taking any depreciation).

You have no Section 1231 from the facts you gave.

Section 1250 is figured on Form 4797 because you have to separate straight-line from your accelerated depreciation.

Get Form 4797 and instructions, and note the Unrecaptured Section 1250 Gain Worksheet for Line 25 of Schedule D on page D-7 of your 1040 for 1998. Ed
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.