Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I spend roughly one hour a day 5 days a week exercising. Lately I have noticed on the medial (inner) side of both knees pain that has continues during my day. I have had this for a few months now and am wondering what it could possiblly be and how to treat.

I'm not an Orthopedist, but I am a physician and have been running regularly for over 30 years.

Sounds like Patello-Femoral pain syndrome. That's really a fancy term for what could be a number of possibilities. At your age, having run for many years, there is certainly the risk of wear and tear on the underlying joints and soft tissues, so that there is a good possibility of uneven stresses to the area that could cause degenerative joint disease, bruising to the underlying bone (which could cause subperiosteal bleeding), a stress fracture, or even a small tear in your medial meniscus, the cartilage in the medial portion of our knees that becomes progressively less vascularized with blood flow as we age.

Did you bear any trauma to the knee or twist/turn it during running lately? You would have to think about meniscal (or other cartilaginous injuries) if you did. If not, it could just be an 'overuse' injury along the lines of what I've mentioned above, and that won't likely get better without a perod of rest to the knee. You might want to consider not running for a good week or two to see if the pain improves/resolves. If not, you'd need to consider seeing an Orthopedic Surgeon and maybe getting an MRI (assuming that plain X-Rays are negative). If the pain does not improve with rest, I'd be more concerned about a cartilaginous tear.

As I said, I have been a long distance runner for many years with no history of injury. I then decided I would play in an over 50 basketball league because I missed 'banging bodies' on the court. The result was a painful medical meniscus tear that necessitated arthroscopic knee surgery and a wide excision of the torn portion. The good news is that I was back running up to 8 miles per day after only 4 weeks, albeit with a less than enthusiastic response by my surgeon at that point. Good luck.

Regards,
Roc
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement