Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: hlcamp Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121159  
Subject: Re: IRA to Roth: Form 8606 Date: 1/27/1999 9:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I spoke with IRS again. And at least I had an idea of what I was talking about this time. Since I am covered by a retirement program at work, single and make a little over 30k a year, some of my contributions are non-deductible in 98. Hence, the need for 8606 Part I.
And since I also moved all of the former traditional IRA money to a Roth in 98 too, then I need to complete Part II.

But now I see I am running into the same old question. How do I determine nondeductible contributions? Does this come from Publication 590? I cannot get it from the IRA Deduction worksheet -see circular reference below.

Former Letter:
I will try to put the most relevant factsinto a few short sentences so as not to confuse you or myself; I
am not an expert on IRS terminology. Here goes.

My income in 98 was over $30,000.
I contributed around 1,800 to the trad IRA in 98.
I HAVE (ie in past years) deducted in full all IRA contributions before this year. Thus, no basis. Right?
I converted the trad IRA to the Roth in late 98 and made no other investments in either IRA.

Problem 1: Are the investments for 98 considered deductible or non? The IRS has said one thing and
people on here have said another.

Problem 2: If they are non, then how can I fill out Part I of 8606 when it refers me the the IRA
Deduction Worksheet in the 1040 book? BTW, this form required your modified adjusted gross income
to proceed. And where does this come from? 8606 Part II of course. And then you need to complete
Part I first, which refers me to the IRA Deduction.......

Solution 1?: The worksheet in Publication 590 to evade this annoying loop?

In the end, I do not completely understand the meaning of non-deductible contributions. I thought I did
once, but after talking with the IRS, reading their Pubs, and reading this board, I am more confused than
ever.

If anyone requires any other pertinent info, I would be glad to supply it in hopes I get a straight answer
from two sources.

Sorry TaxDude. I've been filing my own taxes for about 5 years now and this is the strangest thing I
have hit yet, beating out excess contributions to an IRA and Capital Gain by far.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement