UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (146) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 881765  
Subject: Re: Valuable, cheap college education Date: 2/9/2013 3:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I started cutting my own hair when local prices went up to $8 many years ago. I suspect there are lots of barbers in NYC who will cut your hair for less than $150; it just depends on which barbershop you want to be seen in. ;-)

When I retired, I started cutting my own hair (and stopped coloring it). When I moved to NYC to babysit my grandson, DD persuaded me to see her trainee hairdresser for some thing like $35 or $50. Alas, he had health problems and left the job. So I saw the next trainee, but he became a full-fledged pro charging $150.

While wandering Chelsea one day, I stumbled across a place that looked like a barbershop but gave women's haircuts for $14 (yes, way!). OK, not quite as good as the pricey cut, and no freshly laundered robe to put on in a changing room, no pricey hair products, no hand massage, no hour-long cut, and the ambiance was about like a cheap dive. BUt $14 + $3 tip--that gets me out of my 2-minute self-cut (grab a hank, cut, grab next hank, cut, stop when done...eh, curly hair is very forgiving ;-)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (146) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement