UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63011  
Subject: Re: Y Generation to Affect Future Stock Returns? Date: 7/24/2013 9:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I started work in 1968 at Motorola...I was too busy paying off my college loan and car loan the first 2 years...and bought myself a Corvette the 3rd year (paid that off in 24 months - half down)...

then I had to change jobs and wound up in VA working for GE.....I bought GE stock through the company plan.....I forget how much - 10-15%.....

I dabbled in the market but it was a killer in the early 1970s...some of the worst returns were in 73 and 74 with 80% market drop in 2 years!..... I didn't make any money on the stocks I bought.... I don't think I made anything, and trading costs back then ate you up....not cheap...

Stayed with GE for 12 years and accumulated a pile of GE stock. And a small pension that just about pays my real estate taxes here.... now....

Then in 1983, my salary jumped by 40%.....and I started saving 35% or more of my paycheck.....50% some months...while buying my townhouse in Arlington.....

Was buying individual stocks....bought and kept QCOM......and had some fidelity funds, including some ten thousand in Magellan....

MCI had a pension plan...but it ended about 1990 when the tax laws changed and everyone got dumped into a 401K.....

I put money into the index funds in the 401K......

I put money into index funds

Then in the 1990s, I was saving 40% a month.....and of course, with the market going crazy in the 90s, it was hard not to 'win' and do very well.

Well, now I got a bunch of utility stocks....got a bunch of oil stocks....got a bunch of telco/wireless stocks....in my individual account....

And loads of Vanguard funds.....

Rolled over my 401K to Vanguard....

So I'm happily collecting lots of dividends....and some interest....and SS now....

Life is good.

Not many, though, could sock away 40% at mid life.......or did....

That's how I retired at 52.5

I doubt many other than some lucky business folks, entrepreneurs, internet whiz kids, and others will make the bucks and save them to retire early... maybe 1 in 50 could, maybe 1 in 100 will.

Of course, with GenX not buying homes and cutting down living expenses,they could wind up with stashes of cash...if they can avoid being conspicuous consumers...with high maintenance spouses.....

t
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement