Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I strongly urge you not to. This is called filing a false document. The instructions for the 5329 clearly state that the home
purchase exception applies only to IRA distributions.

Why is this not suprising from a former Revenuer? :-)

Hey, My job was Environmental Compliance at the State Agency I left, so I understand what you're saying. The law is the law. Ignorance and misunderstanding is no defense.

It's a tax return, not a game of "Catch Me if
You Can."

Sure it is. In the Environmental world it's exactly the same. Everyone subject to Environmental Law plays that game hoping not to get caught. Jail time and substatial fines for non compliance are the risk in both worlds. Not much difference.

I probably won't file a 5329 based on your advice. No use in fighting it. I've been on the other side. Still not happy about it though. I already pay someone's salary in Federal taxes. Married with no kids gets you smacked.

Thanks for your help,
Lynn
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement