Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122553  
Subject: Re: SS Death benefit Date: 2/22/2012 6:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I stuck a postit in my tax folder last year as a reminder of the $255 SS death benefit for my husband. I didn't get a 1099 G. Is it taxable income and if so, does it just go with Other 1099-G income ?

Picture it. Sophomore year high school English class, discussing past participles under the guidance of Ruby Reed. She gave the infinitive, the student gave and spelled the past participle.

RR: "To sneak."

Student: "Snuk. S-N-U-K"

RR: "There is no such word as 'snuck,' and if there were it would be spelled 'S-N-U-C-K.'"

I digress. I don't think the SS benefit is taxable, but if it is it will appear on the 1099-SSA, not a 1099-G.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Kiddie Card Board
Should kids have their own credit card?
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

INBK Q1 2015 Earnings Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.