No. of Recommendations: 1
I subscribe to the Champion Mutual Funds service. I find it mildly helpful. Some limitations are:

1) The "model" portfolios draw from a wide variety of fund families, and many of them are not available to me in my tax deferred plans. I am not ready to open a taxable account to get around this; plus, I don't think the portfolios have been designed with tax efficiency in mind.

2) There's not much guidance at all on how to make substitutions if you don't have access to all the fund in the model portfolios. This is sort of understandable - after all, Shannon Zimmerman has already picked what he has determined as the best combination of funds. He does keep of scorecard of good funds, not all of which are currently in the model protfolios, so you can try to use that to make substitutions. But you're really on your own with this.

3) I find the language of the monthly newsletters too chatty and flowery. The writers are trying too hard to be entertaining, and this just hinders my ability to absorb their actual points.

Stengths are:

1) Helpful analysis of a lot of good funds. These analyses are archived, so you can refer back to them whenever you're contemplating adjusting your portfolio.

2) Dedicated discussion boards where you can ask questions and have them answered by a TMF-employed "expert." They will answer technical or knowledge questions - but not really give direct advice about your portfolio choices.

3) If you are able to invest according to their portfolios, very good results. All 3 (aggressive, moderate, conservative) are handily beating their benchmarks and have low weighted expense ratios.

FIgirl
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement