Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DBAVelvet74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 241  
Subject: I survived my runaway Prius Date: 6/3/2010 2:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I was driving home the other night and was on a rural road with the occasional passing zone. I normally am happy right at or just under the speed limit so I very rarely have reason to pass anyone on one of these roads other than the odd piece of farm equipment that doesn't require much acceleration to get around them safely.

But that night I was getting tired of the guy going 10 under so I did pass, and had to push the accelerator all the way down to finish passing before I lost the line of sight.

After I passed I noticed that I kept accelerating. I thought I had somehow resumed the cruise control so I tapped the brake. That of course didn't slow me, and I realized I was above where the cruise had been set. I put my foot on the brake to slow the acceleration, then shifted it into neutral. I had practiced this on the interstate just in case and knew that I had to hold it on N, not just tap it over. Quickly the acceleration stopped and I was slowing down.

I remembered that the gas pedal had felt a little weird right at the bottom and guessed it was stuck on the floor mat. I reached for the petal, but my arms aren't long enough, but I was able to grab the mat and pulled it toward me. I heard the petal pop loose, and was able to shift back into drive.

Other than a good cardio workout, nothing bad happened.

I don't know if anyone is keeping tabs on what mats can cause this, but I don't have Toyota mats, they were gone when we bought the car used. I have the WeatherTec mats that I know my local Toyota dealer sells (I bought them direct after reading about them in AAA magazine).

We already had plans to have the gas pedal recall work done the next time it goes in for an oil change (of course the post card telling me I should have it done showed up 2 days after the last oil change).
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement