Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (82) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 436737  
Subject: Re: Just stop it! Date: 9/23/2012 4:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I suspect he misspoke and meant he had to pay higher property tax for the increase in inventory. He shouldn't be paying income tax on inventory unless he did something really odd (got inventory as a gift, accepted it as bartered income for other goods/services).
===================================

Inventory is not subject to property tax here in Washington State.

He was upset because I told him inventory was not deductible until sold, so increases in inventory is taxable income.

To make it simple.

He purchased $100.00 of inventory.

Let's say he had a 50% margin, selling price if he sold it all would be $200.00.

Total sales were $150.00 worth.

150 is gross income
75 is cost of goods sold

75 is net income.

He can't deduct the full $100.00 that he paid for the inventory.

What he wanted to do

150.00 gross income
100.00 inventory purchases

50.00 Net income.

But since he only sold 3/4 of his inventory he couldn't deduct the cost of the remainder.

FWIW, I was just stating the corporate rate. I realize, like the top income tax rate, few if any pay tax at that rate. Certainly, none pay all their tax at the top rate, since some of the income is taxed at lower rates.

Jean
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (82) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Feste Award Winner Announced!
Congrats to the Winner of the 2013 Feste Award!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement