Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (151) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: NoHorses3 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 41149  
Subject: Re: Adkins redux Date: 1/25/2004 9:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
I suspect you shun the whole "food group" of junk carbs. How can you claim to be "balanced"? Perhaps you are really a closet Atkins freak posing as an idiot provocatuer for your own amusement...

Hi, thurst,

NAH!!!! I do shun the whole "food group" of JUNK carbs. Darn tootin', I do! I love carbs, and eat sphagetti with homemade, homegrown Marinara sauce (I'm right proud of this); macaroni and cheese; homemade (breadmaker) bread loaded with grains of all varieties; potatoes, bean soup; and any other "natural" carbohydrate that comes down the pike, BUT...I don't eat French fries or potato chips or Fritos or Oreos or any other grocery store cookie (make my own), etc. Guess my point is that I stay away from the highly-processed, cheap ingredients foods like anything that has high fructose corn syrup stuff (which eliminates much of the junk right there). Of course, chocolate is NOT considered junk food :-)

Balanced, and, man, am I ever, to me means eating as natural a food as possible; eating somewhat small portions--portion sizes are extremely individual, and eating some of all of the food groups (fat, protein, and carbohydrate).

I'm thinkin' that maybe what I consider junk food many do not...

Explain in what way carbs are needed by the body

Carbohydrates (the good ones) are needed by the muscles to prevent glycogen depletion. You mention that you lift weights (me, too :-) If you were to continue with the lifting and increase the weight while adding a circuit training regime, you'll need those carbs big time for muscle recovery--try reducing the "natural" carb intake; keep lifting; do an aerobic exercise like treadmill, and see how you feel--muscles not wanting to work or like you're tired and slow and everything feels heavy. Muscles out of energy. I like to feel strong, flexible, and aerobically conditioned--that takes carbohydrates!

Nancy

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (151) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement