Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I take it you've not yet had a chance to review Pub 550.

I looked at it. Didn't see anything remotely on point.

Only if you continue to assume the bank's psychic will figure things out without assistance from you. Someone needs to stop by the bank with a certified copy of the death certificate and get the number changed. I'd suggest just sending them a new W-9, but with a bank I think it's always a good idea to have a human involved at the start.

I discussed at length with my Dad's personal banker (small town). I was told that Dad would get the 1099 because he is still listed as the primary owner of the CD. Doesn't make much sense to me but they would not be deterred. Seems more appropriate that each of the joiners would have to declare a prorata portion of the interest earnings.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.