UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75340  
Subject: Re: wondering how to allocate 401(k) money Date: 9/4/1998 4:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I think a 28-year-old should have 100% in stocks for a retirement plan myself. The "100 - age" starts to become good at around age 50 or 60, but before that I think it's way too conservative.

One time I derived a "baseline" formula based on trial and error based on what I think is generally appropriate. I used the function 180 - (2 * age), with overriding maximums and minimums of 100% and (about) 30% respectively. Obivously, thayt's just guess work as well, but I think it's a bit more aggressive and reflects my opinion that most people should be fully or nearly fully invested in stocks well into their 40s.

I think one's time horizon has more to do with allocations than age. If someone has a definite 20-year time horizon for an investment, it doesn't really matter too much whether they are 20 or 50.

While we all have different ideas about good allocation, for 401K investments (usually in various mutual funds) I like a mix of about 50% large caps, 25% small caps and 25% international (give or take about 5% each based on your own tastes).

For what it's worth, I'm almost 33, and have 5% in cash, and everything else I'm allowed to control (i.e. other than the company match forced in company stock) in various mutual funds, roughly in the allocation I described above.

Fool on, Garth.

Tim
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement