Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Kazim Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35967  
Subject: Re: Diablo 3 revisited, Torchlight 2 visited Date: 10/17/2012 10:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I think I hung on with D3 longer than a lot of players, but I yielded to the auction temptation early. I had a lot of fun playing the AH in World of Warcraft, and still do, but that is largely due to the utility of the Auctioneer add-on, which does a lot of bookkeeping and price estimates for you.

See, what I enjoy mostly is SELLING good stuff, but in order to do that reliably, you have to have a clear picture of what items are worth. For D3, the only stuff you can really sell is gear, and the gear all has wildly random stats, and clearly NOBODY who is selling stuff has the faintest clue what a fair asking price is.

For instance: I see an orange item drop, I don't need it, so I check the auction house. It's selling for a million gold, minimum, so I set mine to 900,000. It doesn't sell. I drop it to 700, 600, 500,000, then 400, 350, 300, 350. Doesn't budge. Typically I'll sell it for maybe 1/20 the price that the auction listings SEEMED to indicate.

Having played through to hell mode act 2, I had a pretty good grasp of what stats are needed at high levels. You want gear that has vitality and resistance, mostly, so you don't get killed in one shot. But the thing is, gear with a decent combination of those things costs obscene amounts, while the drop rate is incredibly low because you're looking for fairly unlikely combinations of stats.

I had hope that the crafting game would be fun, but it's not. If you're soloing a character, the probability that you'll get something you can use is so low that it's mainly a money sink. If you're playing the auction, the materials and gold you spend crafting nearly always mean that you're much better off selling the mats and buying the thing you need.

I thought maybe it would be good to sell high level gems, but you can't. Why? Because gems that can drop in any mode sell for, like, less than 1000 gold, rarely better than the vendor price. Gems that can only be gained through crafting sell for absurdly high prices, which seems great, right? Nope... the only way to acquire these gems is to spend that exact same absurdly high price at the gem crafter. There is no profit in creating gems to sell, and there is no profit in buying gems to flip. However, if you want to actually get high level gems and USE them, you have very little choice but to gain that much money, which practically requires using the auction.

Anyway, for the gameplay end of it, my burnout was complete late in Inferno Act 2. It's not just that you die easily... it's that there is a quest that takes a really, really long time to complete in one sitting. It's hard to solo because you die so fast; and if you're playing mainly through multiplayer servers, the quest resets after you log off, and you can lose a couple hours of progress.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TV Gaming Help?
Try the Help With This Home Theater board, and problem solved.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement