UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JackNeat Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/2/2000 6:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is this the way cc fraud is dealt with? My story. I have an Amoca Visa that I never use -- zero balance for at least the last eight months. Yesterday, a letter comes saying that there has been unusual activity on my account and that I should call an 800 number immediately. Ok. I call. I'm asked about some very large recent charges ($400, $2000). I say that I did not make them. Fine. Except that was all I was asked (besides my birth date and the last four digits of my SS number)before being told that a new card (with a new number) was on the way.
--- My question to you Fools: Is this all the information that a fraud department would ask me or have I just given information to a "bad guy" pretending to be a "good guy."

Heavens!!! I'm paranoid!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LeeSc Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32561 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/2/2000 7:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
JackNeat wrote:
Is this the way cc fraud is dealt with? My story. I have an Amoca Visa that I never use -- zero balance for at least the last eight months. Yesterday, a letter comes saying that there has been unusual activity on my account and that I should call an 800 number immediately. Ok. I call. I'm asked about some very large recent charges ($400, $2000). I say that I did not make them. Fine. Except that was all I was asked (besides my birth date and the last four digits of my SS number)before being told that a new card (with a new number) was on the way.

--- My question to you Fools: Is this all the information that a fraud department would ask me or have I just given information to a "bad guy" pretending to be a "good guy."

The two questions which you answered are standard questions used to identify account holders. While this was most likely a legitimate call, you need to be very, very careful. I try to get an extension number and call folks like this back. I don't ask for a phone number, but I ask if they can be reached through the customer service number. If they say no, I ask them what department they are with and then call directory assistance for a main number. I want to verify that I am actually calling the company, and not someone pretending to represent the company.

Having said that, you could easily verify the likelihood that this was a legitimate call by calling the customer service number and checking recent activity on your account.

Good luck,
Lee

Author: Leviathan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32564 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/2/2000 10:13 AM

It's possible that someone was trying to scam you, but really there's not much a crook can do with your birthdate and last 4 SS# digits, unless the crook already had enough other information to put together with it to do something. This sounds like enough to ask by them, but there are a couple of steps you could take. Call Amoco back and ask them if they were the ones that called you on xx date and when you should expect the new card.

Leviathan

Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32572 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/2/2000 12:25 PM
Is this the way cc fraud is dealt with? My story. I have an Amoca Visa that I never use -- zero balance for at least the last eight months. Yesterday, a letter comes saying that there has been unusual activity on my account and that I should call an 800 number immediately. Ok. I call . I'm asked about some very large recent charges ($400, $2000). I say that I did not make them. Fine. Except that was all I was asked (besides my birth date and the last four digits of my SS number)before being told that a new card (with a new number) was on the way.

Heavens!!! I'm paranoid!

LeeSc and Leviathan gave you good answers, but they missed the key factor that you used the number on the letter and you called them!

I am asuming this was a letter sent on their letterhead? Yes, birth date and the last four digits of your SS number are very commonly asked for verification.

I had the same thing happen to me. We had let our son use our credit card to order a computer on line. He ordered from 6 different places and the credit card called us and left a message on our answer machine. I called back to verify these were our charges and the next day I also received a letter just like you did. I guess they send the letter in case they can't get a hold of you by phone, because I called them back to see why I got the letter too.

You can always call your card from the phone number on the back of the card and check. They will be able to tell you what has been going on with your account.

Now it does seem that someone has used your account and so you might want to get your credit reports to make sure that everything is in order with them.

Utahtea (paranoid since someone applied for credit with my husbands SS#!)

Author: Leviathan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32579 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/2/2000 1:56 PM
LeeSc and Leviathan gave you good answers, but they missed the key factor that you used the number on the letter and you called them!

He called the number on the letter, which may or may not be the actual number of the Amoco credit servicer. It would be an expensive scam to be sure, but it's possible. I only suggested that he call a number gotten from a different source (such as the back of the card) to calm his nerves.

Leviathan

Author: jrr7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32602 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/2/2000 3:59 PM
Recommendations: 2
Yes, this does resemble a legitimate transaction, but I've also heard of thieves who work this way.

I don't like that "last four digits" part - credit reports usually list everything BUT the last four digits, so if someone intercepts your credit report, they just have to get the last four digits to make charges on your cards.

If you're worried, call the number on the back of your card and ask the customer service people what's going on. Don't ask us, we don't know your situation!

Author: chhnyc Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32676 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/3/2000 11:12 AM
DOB and SSN sound like typical, legit questions to me -I've given that data out before, too...I think you're safe, but you could always call another Amoca Visa number and ask them about it if it would set your mind at ease. If it does turn out to be a scam, I'd like to know! I've given out info over thephone and there's always that little question in the back of your mind wondering if you just signed away your savings to a con! Call Amoca...

Author: dougl20 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32678 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/3/2000 11:17 AM
I recently had a similar situation happen to me. I got a post card in the mail, and it instructed me to call. I was eventually switched to the fraud division and they asked a lot of questions and mailed me affadavits to sign that stated I had not made the charges. They also issued me a new card and cancelled the old one.

It sounds as if your card company is not quite as diligent as First USA, but they may also wind up calling at a later date.

Good Luck

Author: DougKunkel Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32679 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/3/2000 11:18 AM
Jack,

You may indeed have been scammed. It takes surprisingly little information to steal one's identity. The social security number is being used everywhere as identification and really shouldn't be given out to anyone except the IRS and other institutions that are required to submit financial records for tax purposes, ie. banks, brokers.

I renewed my costco credit card the other day and they asked for my SS number. I didn't want to give it to them but they were adamant about it. I eventually gave in but I gave them a ficticious number. How are they going to know if it's right?

You should call your credit card company, not the number on the letter, and ask about the letter you received. They should be able to tell you if the number you called is a legitimate number. If not, cancel the card immediately.

Author: CoBoyWnder Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32687 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/3/2000 12:11 PM
"I renewed my costco credit card the other day and they asked for my SS number. I didn't want to give it to them but they were adamant about it. I eventually gave in but I gave them a ficticious number. How are they going to know if it's right?"

It is a Credit Card right!
So they did a credit check on you at some point, during that credit check they would have asked for your SS# and your name and kept it on record. At that point the Credit checking agency would make sure that your SS# and name match, if they didn't they would approve you for a credit card. Costco keeps your info on record. In fact they do so they can report on you credit status with their company to a credit agency.

Here is where i think the most trouble occurs. You gave a different social right, i.e. not yours but possibly somebody else's. Now lets say that the costco employ thinks, hmm that is the wrong social for this person, i guess i will change it( probably doesn't bother running credit check, since their is already an account ). Now Costco is reporting you good or bad credit for someone else and their credit report is all screwed up.

As far as safety. I would love to protect my SS#, but unfortunately all my college records are kept by SS#. Every one of my professors has my name listed next to my SS#. Heck even my school ID has it tatooed in big numbers right on the front. So maybe you are a little paranoid( or maybe i am not paranoid enough ):)

Author: HamKap One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32689 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/3/2000 12:24 PM
Check the back of your Amoco Visa card. There should be an 800 number on it. Call that number to verify whether or not there was activity on your card.
Another thing, the letter you received, was it on official company stationery?

I rarely give even the last four digits of my SS# out over the phone. Originally, it was illegal to use SS#'s for identification purposes, but I don't think that's the case anymore. My thinking is, "if they have the last four digits, they can ask for the first three digits, then the middle two digits." I always ask for the supervisor and explain that I want another method of establishing identity, like my mother's maiden name, etc.

You can always cancel the card and ask for a new one.

It sounds too elaborate to be a scam. Usually they call you instead of sending a letter, but this might be the "new way".

Good luck

Author: odnelson Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32691 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/3/2000 12:48 PM
Any card fraud dept. would have phoned in the first place, not wasted days on surface mail. Then they would told you to cut up the cards and that they will mail you new ones. There are other suspicious things about this situation, but those two alone almost assure that you have indeed been conned. Easy enough just to phone the card service ph. no. now.

Author: citycat1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32696 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/3/2000 1:32 PM
What you did was call back the number that was given to you and which may have been a setup ...you then gave out the information that they needed to use this card and a few others too......so if I were you I would call ALL of my cards and change all of the information NOW.

Author: luvinmoney Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32699 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/3/2000 1:38 PM
I know exactly how you feel because I went through the exact same thing. I unfortunately did give my info out to a bad guy and I lost alot of money because of it. I called the credit card company to make sure a couple of days later and they told me that I had $5,000 out of my account! I told them the story and they traced him down and I was not charged for the credit card bills. Just to be on the safe side contact your VISA rep and make sure.

Author: UnCommOner Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32710 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/3/2000 2:26 PM
your not alone friend!!

Next card got me and my elderly friedn whose credit reporting pont system has now been adversely affected--:( and they even got me to give my social security number as I second card holder. Problem is tthe next card offers a fixed rat as low as 9.9 % yet when I applied on behalf of my elderly Jamaican Sass frd in her name she got an approval for a 15.9 per cent rate for not a platinum retirement second card as requested but 2000..And the sad part was she had a 752 credit reporting rating. 800 is perfect. When I objected the next car rep chided me and even canclled the cardsafter approving it!!

So now my stately frd preapproved for a HUD first time deep subsidy senior citizen's loan is stuck with a lower point system and God know what else the Next Card did to her Equifax rating!!

shew--so much for AIG AND KPLG gaming free offers sites!! And next Car also now flashe on my yaoo acct screen!

Ceste Le Ve--

Also got stung with directoneusa.com who offered two free plane tkts(never came) and free two hrs of 800 usage if I gave them nmy debit Vis card number assurring me that I could cancell with no cahrges before the 30 day free trial. So I joined on 4/7 under uncommoner name---Then I didnt use the fee phone time and cancelled. But was told in order to cancell I'd have to log in to their web site!
Problem was as explained in my cancellation I couldnt log in as they are not compatible with web tv..

Now my bankamerica visa debit acct is missing -136 in y direct deposit of my disablity Social Security account!! and to straighten it out I have to raise m already high BP--So I will close my viasa BankAmeirca accts take the losses of unk known amts and learn that corproals of cyber space and pvt bankers who set u gaming ctts of the New World Fioundation's KPMG & AIG sits are FORKINTHEHEAD corproal HEIR ham harrassers!!!!

:('

a saddened and corporally battered lil mac g
who ahs tried all media links known and copied even the Singleto WP reporter who immediately ws invited to do a talk show on MSNBC last friday on credit reporting point systems!!

Guss uncommoner is being paid back by vinctive Ham corporals of the Eastern Stars Inc who are now seeded in Govt and pvt AIG And KPMG seats!!!!

:(

so hard to surf in Fool' these boards!!

Author: UnCommOner Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32726 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/3/2000 3:54 PM
A public self flogging and apology to all and esp to directoneusa.com.

I suffer from PTBCCD(post traumatic batterered by corporal computer disorder syndrome)

I am so sorry-- I goofed---
it was not directoneusa.com that gave me he intro offer for free 30 day trial and 1 or 2 hours of 800 number air time which I joined up for. It was ureach.com!!!

If there are any 1001 oe arabian knights in here--please send this to directoneusa.com for me!!

getting too spread out and couldnt even talk twith the online chat group offered by Fools for a website!! Keep getting a flashing web tv contacting publisher trying to connect thing while trying to communicate there!!

So guess they are not compatible with web tv--I just got an IBM lap top 1412 Think Pad and a BorthersDP-504oCJ color ink word processor and a sony cam corder to try to go live by jul four2000---but so hard to gather it all---And not sure whether to load the windows98 into it or wait for linux or NT?????
have six names prepaid doains uncommer.com.org/net and uncommoners.com/org/net!!

thanks for any help--for this smallest fish in the Fry errr fray!!

So hard to surf on this complicated board you have Fool chieftain that I run away each time like I did on WP boards! Guess when I become an Adult I'll understand!

uncommoner@webtv.net
:(:(

Author: hghyink Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32728 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/3/2000 4:21 PM
NEVER GIVE OUT PERSONAL INFO. TO A STRANGER. IF YOU DON'T KNOW IT'S LEGIT.; IT'S PROBABLY NOT.

Author: OhYeah Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32750 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/3/2000 7:50 PM
> ...IF YOU DON'T KNOW IT'S LEGIT.; IT'S PROBABLY NOT.

Sometimes it don't matter WHAT you do.

A while back a Ma-n-Pa mortgage company in upstate New York was loose with their credit bureau login password. Some bad guys used the account to ask a credit bureau for a list of the top ten percent credit risks. Using THAT list the badguys asked the credit bureau for some business credit reports (as opposed to consumer credit reports) of apparently thousands of the top ten percenters. Apparently those business credit reports had not only name, SS#, and DOB as well as credit worthiness, they ALSO had auxilliary info like mother's maiden name (gack!).

Using all the information above, the bad guys wrote a letter to a bunch of credit card service centers, mine included. The gist of their letter was "I've moved, please change my address to XYZ ABC Avenue, Bronx, etc" and "And don't forget, I asked you to send me my PIN number as well".

Numerous financial orgs fell for this, my Credit Union included, and dutifully forwarded my credit card PIN number to the new address in the letter without sending any notification to the OLD address.

BINGO! - To the tune of $8000 over 4 days cash advances, $2000 per day, $500 per ATM transaction.

I found out about it when I tried to make a purchase on a Saturday and the card bounced. On Monday the badguys had sent a check (stolen) to the credit card service center to cover the $8000 charges so they could do it all over again.

Fun stuff.

Get and read your credit reports - you might be surprised what's there (like when I was about to buy my next house and saw the Ma-N-Pa mortgage company had asked for my credit report...ah ha...I remember that).

Author: FredaSmith Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32752 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/3/2000 8:23 PM
No, you are not being paranoid. You should never give out that information unless it was you who made the call

Author: MARANSE One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32762 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/3/2000 11:42 PM
I don't think that you are paranoid. If you are, welcome to the club! If I received a letter like that from my credit card company, I would call immediately using their 800 number for verification. A person should never give out their birth date or the last four numbers of their credit card. The birthdate gives the first four numbers, so the person called has your entire Social Security number, your name, address, phone number (caller id). With this information, they can scam you or steal your identity. At this point, what's done is done. The best course of action would be to immediately call your credit card company to see whether or not such charges have been made. If not, then call all your credit card issuers to report the incident and follow their instructions. This should limit your liability according to the terms of the card(s). Unless you need this card for emergencies, you'd be wise to chop it up and send it with a letter notifying the credit card company of cancellation. It's best to keep the (one) major card you use.

Author: JPLenny Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32764 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/4/2000 12:29 AM
A person should never give out their birth date or
the last four numbers of their credit card. The birthdate gives the first four numbers, so the person called has your entire Social Security number, your name, address, phone number (caller id).

OK, I might me ignorant of some newly discovered formula here, but I thought the first three digits of your SSN had more to do with what region of the country your card was issued.

If you give out your birthday and last four of your SSN , the person only has exactly that. Your birthday and the last four digits of your SSN. I'm curious how you can derive the first 4 digits from that information.

Lenny

Author: dmachado Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32774 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/4/2000 7:37 AM
Regarding cc same rules we must never break:
Rule 1: never talk to strangers about ur cc
Rule 2: Ur cc must have phone number for u to call. Use it!!
Rule 3: don'tb reak rules 1 and 2

Author: MarkB Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32775 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/4/2000 7:39 AM
The first THREE numbers of the SS# are determined by where you where born, New England starts with 0, the mid-Atlantic with 1 etc.
In my experience, when a credit card issuer detects unusual activity in an account they always call as well as write a letter. If there was no phone call then I would have been reluctant to give out this info in response to a letter solicitation. I would call the issuer to confirm and if there is any question at all, I would cancel all of my cards.

Author: emilyandy Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32776 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/4/2000 8:05 AM
If you haven't already, I suggest you call the credit card company from the number on your bill. Ask them if there has been any unusual activity on your card. Tell them if they have any record of a letter being sent to you. They should have a record of any contact. You can even tell them what happened. Hopefully they will say, sure we sent you a letter. It might put your mind at ease. Goodluck.

Author: ravennar Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32777 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/4/2000 9:07 AM
You MAY have been scammed. Services such as CDB Infotek/ChoicePoint will display all of an SS# EXCEPT the last 4 digits. You just gave someone that info.

Call the credit card company immediately! Check your balance...Even if it is still $0 I would recommend cancelling the card. Call the credit reporting agencies also to see if you have applied for new credit cards. And see what address they are using. You need to move quickly.

You are not paranoid! (well, at least not about this ;)) Identity-jacking goes on all the time. It can make a mess of your life.

Author: Buzzardfive Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32778 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/4/2000 10:03 AM

Had something similar happen to me. Instead of a letter, it was a message on my answering machine. Same "M.O." - "Unusual activity on your card; call this 800 number."

When I called, the person on the other end couldn't tell me which credit card he was referring to. In fact, he tried to get me to give out my credit card numbers. When I told them that they should have that information, it was the beginning of the end of our freindship.

I checked with my credit card companies and there were no discrepancies.

I think you have good reason to be paranoid. B5

Author: jkfvaz Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32785 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/4/2000 11:04 AM
Contact the cc company and verify the letter and 800 # you called with them-usually their is a phone # and address accompanies statement to contact customer service. Hope you lucked out-

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32789 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/4/2000 11:20 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>.The birthdate gives the first four numbers, so the person called has your entire Social Security number, your name, address, phone number (caller id).<<<<<<<<<<<<

HUH??? My birthdate has nothing to do with my SSN. How do you mean this?

Ishtar

Author: mcjanner Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32938 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 5/5/2000 11:09 AM
**Using all the information above, the bad guys wrote a letter to a bunch of credit card service centers, mine included. The gist of their letter was "I've moved, please change my address to XYZ ABC Avenue, Bronx, etc" and "And don't forget, I asked you to send me my PIN number as well".**

It's too bad you got taken by this scam. A reputable company will already have your PIN information on file. A BIG RED FLAG right there.
Any question at all, call the issuer and verify the info/ requests.
A good company will investigate suspicious activity immediately. A few years ago I was buying a high end racing bicycle on my Optima. While in the store purchasing it and waiting for the approval, the company got me on the phone and asked me select questions on file to verify I was in fact the correct card member before approving the charge. A good move in my eyes.
American Express is one of the better companies in my opinion.

TriChick
caveat emptor

Author: FriedBrain Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36240 of 308881
Subject: Re: I think I'm Paranoid. Am I? Date: 6/12/2000 11:01 PM
Two parts. First, jrr7 sez:
I don't like that "last four digits" part - credit reports usually list everything BUT the last four digits, so if someone intercepts your credit report, they just have to get the last four digits to make charges on your cards.

Yes, but by the same token, this is one way CC companies can verify that someone hasn't gotten a copy of your credit report and decided to pose as you saying they lost the card and could they send a new one to a "new" address?

Second part:
As for the original issue, this actually happened to me a few months ago: the company called (I think) me regarding some "suspicious" activity on my card, and would I call their special 1-800 number to talk with them about it?

Well, the "suspicious" activities were gas and a birthday cake (I hadn't used the card in a while, just like JackNeat). I was leery too, so the first thing I did was call the customer service number (listed on the back of the card) and confirmed the number I had been given with them. In this case, it was legit. (This isn't a guarantee, just my personal experience in a similar situation.)

Since this is in the past, you can't do that, although I'd recommend this approach next time. In your case, I'd go with what several before me have said: Call customer service now (use the number on the bill or the CC itself), and confirm the validity of the number you received in the mail.

Here's hoping it was legit!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement