No. of Recommendations: 10
I think it would be good if MF were a bit more forward about admitting bad stock picks. However, I don't think that they try to cut and run from them either. In all the articles, reports, etc. I have read they have always been fairly straightforward in discussing losses, mistakes, and misevaluations. Generally, though, you cannot get upset because they pick a few duds. It is in the end up to you whether or not you invest in a particular company. MF helps out a lot by putting forward some stock ideas and even going through particular valuation arguments. In the end though it is up to you as the individual investor to decide whether or not the particular pick is worth investing in.

Everything that is on here I take as conversation. While some of their advertisements push the stocks a little too much, the actual documents within the reports are basically just straightforward arguments and risk analyses regarding the potential of a stock. The two new stock advisor picks this month, for example, I'm not sure if I totally agree with (I assume I'm not supposed to leak them...). I have not gone through my own analysis, but their arguments do not seem persuasive enough at their face value where I feel like they demand my immediate attention. Will I follow those stocks the next week or two and do some of my own basic evaluations? Most likely. But in the end I will only jump into a stock because of my own like/dislike of the company and not somebody else's.

And as long as their overall record is positive, I see nothing wrong in their overall method of advertising. Is it a bit garish? Yes, of course. But not to the point where I feel like they are lying to me any more than Budweiser lies to me when they pretend as if drinking their beer will make supermodels want to dance with me.

I do like your idea of having the official Fools discuss their biggest-dud picks though. That would be as informative as discussing the winners or the potential of picks. I encourage the Fool to look into putting something like that together.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement