No. of Recommendations: 3
I think since you have a 401K, you are not eligible for a regular IRA.

This is NOT true!

If you participate in a 401(k), 403(b), or some other plans, the income limit at which you can deduct contributions to a Traditional IRA goes down quite a bit. Yes, for most full-time workers, the result is that one cannot deduct contributions to a Traditional IRA. However, one can still contribute to a Traditional IRA and file Form 8606 with one's 1040 to preserve one's "tax basis" in that IRA so one wouldn't be taxed again on the after-tax contributions. (All this is assuming that one isn't 70.5 years old--Traditional IRAs have a maximum age at which one can contribute.)

Generally, though, contributing to a Roth IRA is preferable to making non-deductible contributions to a Traditional IRA.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.