Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I think the difference between the Kinnect and a VR helmet is with the helmet you can write a game once and render it differently and still get many of the benefits. With Kinnect, your entire system of controls is different. Lots of games support looking around already, VR just makes it vastly more intuitive and immersive. With PC games, it was (is? It's been a while) common to have the mouse control field of view while the controller or keyboard controlled movement and weapons. This model is nearly perfect for easy adaption to VR.

I'm trying to imagine a flight simulator with a good VR rig and I'm excited.

One big thing about Oculus is the pricing is likely not insane because they are designed around commodity components. If Oculus sells for $299, versus $399 for XBox or PS4 and you have to add a VR rig to the PS4, I think the Oculus will do quite well.

The CEO of Oculus is targeting 1 million units for their initial release, but I think they could move many more units than that if the price is good and they have a good selection of titles.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement