No. of Recommendations: 0
I think the first part of my question was cut off, but I'll follow up: If I can't utilize the FF with my 401K, and I definitely want to contribute more than the allowed 2K per year for IRAs into my FF online brokerage account, does this mean that prior to rebalancing my holdings, I should subtract 28% (or the equivalent for my tax bracket) and get the cash to pay for taxes before rotating into the next year's FF?


The dividends are taxed as regular income, which is 28% (or whatever your marginal rate is).

The captial gain (the increase in price) is taxed at 20% (10% if you're in the 15% tax bracket). That assumes that you hold it for at least a year-plus-one-day (to make it a long-term capital gain).

So, if you are in the 28% bracket, you would want to subtract 28% of dividends plus 20% of the difference in stock prices to cover your taxes.

There is no guarantee that this would work perfectly, since a good year might slip you into a higher bracket.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.