No. of Recommendations: 0
I think the key to success in this area is to find a specialty in demand. I have an old work acquaintence who has a successful business specializing in building, maintaining, and troubleshooting home networks -- cable, DSL, Ethernet, etc.

I also know a consultant who does this and is very successful.

I've often wondered if there was a business opportunity in the area of professional computer shopper. ...snip... I think there are some people out there who would pay someone to do all that for them. I know my mother would have if she hadn't had me or my sister to shop for her; she told me so.

Barb has a good idea. I know because I already do this myself. I charge between $25 to $50 depending on how much time is involved.

I am a VAR and sell PCs, but I don't always recommend the ones I sell because they don't always "fit" what the customer needs. If I don't have a PC to fit their needs I will shop around for the customer (hence the higher charges) to find them the best deal I can locally. Some customers want a local store to buy from for warranty issues.

You can take this as far as you want to as you don't have to limit it just to PC's. I was shopping for people for all kinds of parts and software (still do) through local stores before I started my online store.

ßill╒

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement