UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76079  
Subject: Re: I might be crazy but.... Date: 4/13/2013 12:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I think the "deceleration time" differences are a very important point. Here are some factors I think may be relevant:

+ Job type.

Jobs that schedule most of your time such as public school teaching, factory work, health care and other customer-focused jobs may leave you at a loss for filling up retirement hours as you may be out of practice in determining for yourself what to do. I think transition to retirement may be easier when you're more accustomed to laying out your own path.

As a writer/editor, I seldom had more than a couple of meetings a week; the rest of my time at work was my own to lay out. AS a programmer, software architect, manager of SW engineering, and finally college instructor, DH was also able to determine for himself how to use much of his time.

+ Personality type.

People-people may have a harder time adjusting to being around fewer people. This was true for my mother, who joined a bunch of clubs, and my father, who met people at the town pool and got involved with people online. For a while I did volunteer work, but I'm not really that social and it was wearing, so I stopped (also, as I started to do more travel, I couldn't give a consistent commitment).

"Type A's," who have a powerful need to accomplish things, might find the adjustment to retirement a little harder than others. But a little creativity in laying out appropriate goals will help.

Neither DH nor I are Type A, although we do have our moments, nor are we exactly Mañana types, although we have those moments too ;-)

+ Hobbies.

Got hobbies? Retirement is a boon as you can finally devote all the time you wish to them. We each have several hobbies, a few we like to do together, a few we like to do alone, one or two we do with others (not each other, such as DH attending guy movies with guy friends). We still love doing things together like talking about whatever's on our minds, walking in pretty places, listening to music, cooking.

No hobbies? Hey, watching TV and reading online are hobbies ;-)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement