Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I think the US needs a medical insurance program structured somewhat like the one used successfully by US Federal employees and retirees. It should be opened up to all and its costs spread throughout the society. I also favor co-pays except for the poorest in our society. I pay $20 per visit and that seems about right to me.

I keep hearing how great the federal employee program is. Have a couple questions. First, does Congress ever worry about how much it costs? They've suddenly become cost conscious when it comes to the rest of us, but what about their own plan? Second, does the program pay whatever is billed or a preset amount for each treatment?

I'm in a Blue Cross PPO. Savings accrue to me in two ways compared with just paying cash out of my pocket when I need care. First, I too have a $20 copay for doctor visits. That's good except a "visit" is defined very narrowly by the doctors. Mostly it's "Hi! How are you!" Then whatever else they do gets billed as an additional procedure. The second savings is much bigger, however. To be part of the PPO, and 95% of the doctors in my state are, the doctors, and hospitals, agree to accept preset reduced fees. That can save 30% or more compared to paying cash out of pocket. And that savings is there even while I'm meeting my deductible.

One of the ugly features of our current health care system is inflated bills delivered to the uninsured. Everyone knows the care providers would accept much less from an insurance company. But they bill the uninsured for the full amount and then send it to collection when they can't pay. Why force someone into bankruptcy for a bill you would never collect if they had insurance? A whole new industry of health care advocates has arisen to negotiate bills down for those who can't pay. Unfortunately the advocates often take a large percentage of the savings.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement