Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: psuasskicker Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9208  
Subject: Re: Favorite Openings Date: 3/5/2002 8:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I think this is the problem a lot of amateur (yes I realize that is the third way I've spelled that word today...one of them has to be right!) chess players have. There are so many variations, how can you memorize them all? Especially considering that one opening can easily morph into another one because there is no scripted way that you have to reach a certain position.

I'm reading a book on openings now, basically just for illustrative purposes and to try to see if I can follow what some major advantages and disadvantages are. Does one set of openings lead to a closed game or open? Are there certain imbalances opening X tends to create that I know well and find favorable to play with?

One of the reasons I'm so intrigued by the Smith-Morra Gambit is because you are playing with a material disadvantage. I figure that if I can practice up on playing with a material disadvantage and use other imbalances, it will help me down the road understanding how to work with position rather than material when I'm playing against someone that I'm losing the material battle to.

One of the reasons 1. d4 is so interesting is because many chess players do not know how to respond to it. I certainly don't, and I want to teach myself how to.

I think it's worth memorizing many openings if you are a very serious player and looking to work your way to expert level and potentially make a living of playing the game. If you're not, more than likely you'll either play the opening by the seat of your pants; or read a book or two on them, and start to pick up a good number of them along the way...as you see them more often. That's certainly the way I'm learning right now.

What's truly amazing is that, knowing that chess was invented more than 500 years ago and how many millions of games have been played, there are still a good number of openings that people do not understand how to react to or are still working out the implications of.

Example: This opening led to the game that I used for my puzzle #1 with my father (who played as white)...
1. e4 c5; 2. Qh5 d6; Bb5+
Does anyone know what to do with that opening? My guess was to jump either the knight or bishop (depending on if you want a straight trade or a bishop vs. knight battle) to guard the king, and then jump the g knight to f6 to chase the queen and take the lead in development. So many opening possibilities...none will ever fully be discovered, and many will likely rarely ever get played because they could be so lop-sided.

One of the first thing the book notes is how statistical analysis on openings is meaningless because of all the different factors that must be taken into consideration. Example, an opening could be found to be an incredibly powerful one in which one side nearly always comes out the victor. Hundreds of games get played and recorded like this until someone finds the one way to completely counter this opening, and it's discovered that playing said opening is actually suicide due to the counter. In such a case, the statistical wins may be very high for the one opening, but because it can be proven to be easily refuted, it is nearly never played, keeping those statistics high.

It's an amazingly complex subject. The whole game of chess itself is. I'm not going to make a living of this game, so I'll read a book on openings and pick them up along the way.

Chris
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement