UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: RJMason Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74296  
Subject: Re: Prius goes down to BMW Date: 3/20/2008 8:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 12
I think this is the right way to think about a Prius: the Prius is a sports car.

It so happens that the Prius's sport is an endurance sport, and its "boast number" is MPG rather than its 0-60 time. The Prius is arguably the champion or anyway a superstar at its sport.

When you think about it this way, you see that counting the dollars saved in gasoline by a Prius is pretty much like counting how much time a Porsche cuts off your commute: it half-misses the point. The point is not so much the practical need for the car, but how the car makes you feel about yourself and what you think the car says about you to others.

There are scoffers and bashers who say that driving a Prius doesn't make you enviro-hip and techno-green. But whatever sports car you buy, there will be some scoffers and haters who say it doesn't make you adventurous and exciting. You can listen to them or not as you choose.

Tinker: If you can drive a larger BMW, and on average get within a few miles per gallon to what the Prius gets, no one is going to care, if say the BMW gets 35 mpg overall and the Prius gets 41. People will go with the BMW.

Of course a lot of people won't even really be considering this decision because the BMW costs over $50K versus $25K for the Prius.

But some people might actually be pondering this decision, and in a way, I see that as a huge testament to the Prius and its image. "I have $50K to spend on a car. Which one is more 'me'? Hmm, maybe this Prius is cooler." That buyer might not be seriously considering any other $25K cars, but the Prius makes the shortlist because of having a superstar image in its own way.

Tinker: My Lexus sports car, and it is quite sweet. At 60 mph, without even trying or tapping into its power, I can still push you back against the seat accelerating up to 80.

And what good does it do you to push people against the seats? Do you get to work any faster? Not enough to really matter. The main point is that you like it; you have fun doing it.

Someone else might feel that driving all over town on a gallon of gas is "quite sweet."

Tinker: So I think the point is, we don't need to all be driving some compromise cars that make us feel good

I disagree. We all need to drive compromise cars because every engineering decision is a compromise and every car compromises on something. And we are all going to choose cars that make us feel good. That may mean a different balance of acceleration, mileage, etc., depending on the image we want for ourselves.

Tinker: Anyway, good gas mileage is not the product of exotic technology

That may or may not be true, but I don't see how you would draw that conclusion from the BMW 520D, which has regenerative braking, low-rolling-resistance tires, and other Prius-like technological innovations to improve mileage.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement