Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (42) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58666  
Subject: Re: Perfect Woman 1912 Date: 1/7/2013 8:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I think we should also remind ourselves that the lifespan of those living in the early 1900's was far shorter--the average life expectancy for a woman was 48.3 years in 1900 vs 80.6 years in 2008:

Just for the record, that statistic, while accurate, is also terribly misleading.

That's because it includes all ages from birth, and at the turn of the century there was a high incidence of childhood disease which killed infants and children, bringing those "overall" averages way down. (It's common argument from the anti-Social Security crowd, that expectancies have gone up so much. Except they haven't, since children never contribute in, nor take out, if they die in childhood.)

A more relevant statistic is "remaining life" at various ages, in which we find a far different story. From the early part of the century most adults' lives have been extended by about 10 years plus or minus (depending on gender, ethnicity, etc.), not 30, and much of that 10 is thanks to "last stage of life" extensions thanks to heroics of modern medicine, about which we could have another debate.

Ignoring the calculation of childhood deaths, and ignoring the estimates I have seen of "late stage heroics", the actual longevity of people has increased about five years. (And even that is subject to debates, as it includes such terrors as the mass epidemic of flu in 1918, the huge number of casualties in World Wars I and II, all of which contribute to a "shorter" life expectancy.)

Here's a chart which gives a clearer - if more complicated - picture: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005140.html

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (42) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement